Search This Blog

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Word Work, the Reading Recovery Way -- Pt. 4

It's about time, teachers, ... for more Word Work, the Reading Recovery Way.


Now that your student is making KNOWN words easily from a set of letters, it's time to add inflections.  To do this, make a known word for the child, e.g. look.  Initially, you demonstrate the task by saying, "This says look."  


"Watch while I add something to it."  Slide an s to make looks.  


"Now it says looks.  Say it and check it with your finger."  

Do another word in the same lesson with the same inflection.  


Continue in this way on subsequent days, always using known words.  Avoid using words that require a spelling change, such as liking or batted.  Add other inflections until you are sure the child knows the task and understands how words work with inflections. 



As always, push as much of the task onto the child as you can, as soon as you can.

* * * * *

Now it's time for some fun!  

Cynthia over at 2nd Grade Pad has started a game, Who Will be Boo'd?  You've probably all played BOO at school where you leave a ghost on someone's desk or mailbox along with a treat. Let's do the same by sharing some love from our stores...


Here's how to play:

  • Choose a fellow blogger that has FEWER followers, another that has about the SAME number of followers, and last, someone that has MORE followers.
  • Highlight their blogs with links to encourage others to check them out. Don't forget to let your fellow bloggers know that you shared about them. 
  • Last, leave them some love by offering them a goody from your store as their "treat."

Here are my three:



Kristi teaches 2nd grade. She's been blogging since Feb., like me. She loves pinning and has great ideas to share. Check out Lucky in Learning.









Heather at Creation Castle is my newest bloggy friend. She just hosted a Celebrating Literacy Giveaway. I was lucky enough to participate (my 1st giveaway) and loved it! 




Vicky at Traditions, Laughter, & Happily Ever After was one of the first teachers to follow my blog, making her near and dear to my heart. She has an awesome blog filled with fantastic ideas. You've got to check it out.


Now it's your turn. Pass on the BOO to 3 of your favorite blogs, tell us about them, and link up! Feel free to add your link here through Oct. 31st before the ghosts all flee and the turkeys arrive! :-)





You may also be interested in:

6 comments:

  1. I'm a classroom teacher, but I've been trained in Reading Recovery for about 16 years. It definitely molded me into the reading teacher I am today. (Thanks for letting me follow.)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading Recovery was the best reading training I've ever had; far better than graduate courses in reading. It definitely made me a far better reading teacher. Glad you are following my posts. I'd love to have you add to them if you want.

      Barb

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    a "french linky party" about Halloween. It's here http://www.trousseetcartable.fr/rallye-liens-autour-d-halloween-a53713005

    (sorry for my english...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up to my party!

    I'm off to check out the blogs you highlighted. :-)

    Cynthia

    2nd Grade Pad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for creating the linky party. It is soooooo fun!

      Barb

      Delete